The Blameless platform offers integration with New Relic that allows you to monitor metrics that can be consumed within the SLO module.
The New Relic SLO integration adds a new APM integration to our SLO integrations suite. Blameless uses the following areas of the New Relic API specifically:
Create and Copy the Blameless API Client token
First, you need to create and copy an API token. Refer to the New Relic site for more information regarding their APIs.
Create the Blameless API Client token
- Select "Account Settings" in the upper right corner of the New Relic Home Page. A drop-down option list appears.
- Select "API Keys" under the Integrations section on the left nav bar.
- Click on the "Create REST API key".
- Click on "Show" and copy the REST API key provided.
Copy the Blameless API Client token
- Open or switch windows to the Blameless application.
- Select the Settings (gear) icon.
- Select the "*"New Relic" app from the Integration list.
- Select the "Enable New Relic" slider to activate it.
- Scroll down to the New Relic API token field.
- Paste the copied New Relic API key in the text field.
Add and Configure the SLI
Currently, the Blameless New Relic Integration only supports the Latency SLI.
If you are interested in trying or learning more about our SLO module, please reach out to your Customer Success manager.
- Select the Blameless SLO Manager (target) icon on the left nav menu.
- Select the Service Registry option under the SRE Menu.
- Select "Create a new Service" from the top right corner button.
- Enter a Service name.
- Enter the Service description.
- Navigate to the newly created Service.
- Click the "Define SLI button" in the SLIS tab.
- Enter the name of the SLI and provide an optional SLI definition.
- Select "Latency" for the SLI.
- Select the New Relic Logo (this sets the data source).
- Select the application from the New Relic Application drop-down.
- Wait for the metric paths to populate. Once it is no longer greyed out, click into path field and start typing your Metric Path link. There will be an autocomplete that you will need to select from.
- Select a Metric value.
- Click "Save" and once successful, a message will appear and the modal will close.
Confirming the Integration
To test and confirm the integration, you need to have at least one service created within the Service Registry (instructions on how to appear in the previous section).
- Select the SLO portal icon (target) on the Blameless web application navigation menu.
- Click on "Service Registry" and select a service from the list or create a new one.
- Click on "+ Define SLI" in the top right.
- Name the SLI and enter a description.
- Select the SLI type ("Latency").
- Click on the "New Relic" button under the "Select Data Source" label to choose New Relic as the datasource.
- Confirm that the New Relic application can be selected from the drop-down.