The Blameless platform offers integration with Slack that allows you to manage and orchestrate your incident resolution workflow natively in Slack. More details here!
- Go to the Blameless web application “Settings” page, scroll down and click on the “Messaging” option. Select the “Manage” button in the Slack container.
- Enable Slack by moving the “Enable Slack” slider to the ON position within the Blameless web application and click on “Authorize Slack”.
- Select the workspace and channel that you want the Blameless bot to be installed into.
- Select “Allow” and click “Save”.
- Now, you can add the Blameless bot to any channel to enable the Blameless slash commands. The account does not need Slack administrator privileges to install the BlamelessBot; full member will work fine.
Best PracticesWhen using Blameless in production, the best practice is to authorize the Slack integration using a “Service Account”.This is a Slack account that is not tied to a specific person and has a name that won't be confused as a person when it shows up in channels.The Blameless bot will be owned and installed by this user. The Service Account user needs to be able to log in to the Blameless GUI, which means it needs to be able to receive e-mail. The account does not need Slack Admin privileges to install the BlamelessBot; full member will work fine.
Note: Doing things this avoids certain problems with Slack integration:
- A user who authorized the Slack integration leaving the workspace (causing the bot to fail)
- A user who authorized the Slack integration showing up in incidents without actually being present
Bot TokensThere are two types of tokens generated when the Blameless bot is granted authorization:
- web/user token
- bot token
user/webtoken. That token implies the action is performed by the user who authorized the Bot. An example of an action that requires the use of the
web/usertoken is the create channel request: https://api.slack.com/methods/channels.create
Testing the IntegrationUsers should see a notification in the Slack workspace about the Blameless bot once it has been added:You can test the integration via the assigned Slack channel using the “/” Blameless commands. Enter the
/blamelesscommand in the Slack text input, and press “Enter”. A list of Incident options should appear, indicating the integration was successful.
Article is closed for comments.