Triggering on tags throughout the life of the incident (available June 16)
We’re excited to announce that you will be able to trigger CommsFlows based on the addition of tags. Tags are a powerful way of classifying incidents because they can be used to express many different types of information including causes, services impacted, teams impacted, expertise required for response, and more. Being able to trigger off of these tags opens a world of possibilities!
Tag triggering means that your organization will be covered throughout the lifecycle of an incident, whether the tag was added on incident creation, during an incident, or even after an incident has been resolved. If you add more than one tag during creation, then each one will trigger individually. As you add tags one-by-one during the incident, these too will individually trigger their respective flows. Filtering on tags is still applicable as well.
How to use:
- Click Add Comms Flow.
- Under Condition, select Incident Tag Added.
- Search for and select from your predefined tags list.
- Your selected tags will appear below. Note that the tags selected here will each individually trigger the flow you’re creating as long as the rest of the remaining conditions that you set are met.
- Populate the flow with the appropriate conditions.
- When you reach the Tag conditions field, you can select from tags to trigger off as well as filters.
- Meaning that if you only want to trigger a Flow with a “Security Team” label when certain service tags are applied, you can do so by setting those tags as the filters.
Use cases to take advantage of (tags are examples):
- Emailing a certain engineering executive group when incident of Sev1 or greater is created impacting their service through triggering on servicename.
- Texting an on call security engineer a distinct type of incident briefing with certain variables when the securityincident tag is applied.
- Applying changedtoincidenttypex to notify a different team of the incident’s type’s change in Slack.
- Updating a Slack channel of a title change with by adding the incidenttitleupdated tag.
- Sending Slack messages to certain internal SMEs by adding the smearea trigger to give them a heads up when the cause of a Sev0 seems to be related to their area of expertise.
As you explore different possibilities with triggering on tags we highly recommend to also consider creating new tags as needed to maximize the power and flexibility of this new feature.
Users are occasionally unable to edit a tile in reliability insights
Sometimes, users were unable to edit a tile in Reliability Insights. The tile would either move to a different place when clicking on the tile or while saving it and the saving process would hang without getting redirected to the query editor.
Users are able to reliably save and edit a tile in Reliability Insights. The tile remains in the location where it was initially created after saving the tile.