The investigation stage
After a new incident has started, Blameless launches the Investigation stage. During this phase, responders gather in the incident's Slack channel to discuss and triage the incident.
This process of coordinating the triage of an incident typically includes inviting users and assigning roles. After this, we will look at how tasks are assigned to users based on role.
Let's have a look at how to start coordinating the triage process.
Coordinate the incident triage
Before the triage process starts, it is critical to involve any stakeholders and colleagues who can contribute to the investigation.
Colleagues who are not responsible for incident management, but may be able to contribute, should be invited to the incident's Slack channel. Those who will play an active role in the management of the incident should be assigned an incident role; note that some users will automatically be assigned a role based on your settings.
Invite a user to the Slack channel
The easiest way to invite a user to the incident's Slack channel is to @mention them in the channel:
...and then click Invite Them.
Manage your team drop-down
- Alternatively, click Manage your team and select Invite User to Incident.
- The Invite User dialog box appears.
- In the Users field, start entering a user's name and select a user from the real-time results, and then click Invite.
What is an incident role?
An incident role is a title that is assigned to a user and is used to convey responsibility over an aspect of the incident triage process. Examples may include Commander, Communication Lead, and Product Owner.
How do roles work with tasks?
Incident roles are differentiated from each other based on their assigned tasks. Blameless can automatically assign a task to a specific role; for example, incident announcements and updates can be assigned to the Communication Lead role. Assigning tasks to roles is usually done during initial configuration by your system's Administrator. You can learn more about tasks here.
Assign an incident role to a user
For colleagues who play an active role in the triage process, we recommend assigning an incident role. More than likely, your first task as an incident creator will be to assign a user role, such as the "Assign Commander role" task shown here:
- Click Manage your team and select Assign Incident Role.
- The Assign Incident Roles dialog box appears.
- In the Select a role field, select an incident role.
- In the Search people field, start entering a user's name and select a user from the real-time results, and then click Submit.
- To assign more roles before submission, click Add role.
Incident roles are customizable by your organization. While a user can be assigned multiple roles, a role cannot be assigned to multiple users.